Saturday, January 19, 2013

/Head Desk

Dear Doll-face,

I forget how right some of my friends lean.. and when they make mostly uniformed blanket posts on facebook it dulls my senses and I think to myself "how are we even friends?!" I then remind myself that she is still younger than I am, and has not finished school.. and there is time for her to learn and grow yet... just like there is time for me.

Her latest exploit is not believing in evolution .. and I'm not going to take that right away from her.. she has the right to be ignorant and not understand evolution.. it just bothers me because she wants to be a nurse and she is going to have to take a LOT of science classes that are going to challenge that...

I am a student of the social sciences, and it bothers me when people call it a "soft science" because it's not.  Just because my data isn't based in chemicals doesn't mean my science has less merit.... she is taking an anthropology class which talks about the evolution of HUMANITY, so of course in the wee hours of the semester they are going to touch on how humans evolved from shared ancestors.  In her world she hears "humans came from apes" and I can't tell her no, because she has a RIGHT to believe incorrectly, and someone much more educated than me will maybe someday teach her that no, no one actually believes people were once apes, but we do understand that at some point or another we had a shared ancestor  and through EVOLUTION and the STUDY OF ANTHROPOLOGY we see how humans evolved and differed from apes.

I just hope that she doesn't miss the point of the class, which is to explore these evolutions of humanity and how they are different from the ones that we experience.  There is a lot to be learned from different cultures, and I hate to see that get lost because she doesn't believe in one facet of the science behind the entire explanation.  I can still enjoy the beauty of Big Ben without understanding all the gears that work behind his face.

Anyway, that's my little soap box.. and I hope she doesn't see this and feel like I think she's stupid... because honestly I once believed just like she did and I don't think she's stupid.. she just hasn't reconciled her personal beliefs with those of science in a way that I agree with.

In case you are curious.. you can now search out my name and find me on the registered healthcare workers list for the state.. because I am a certified professional now.

Hope you're having an alright evening, study hard, sew hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment