Friday, September 28, 2012

Being On Hold...

Dear Doll-face,

There is just nothing in the world that is as frustrating and nerve wracking as being on hold, especially when you are on hold for a government assistance phone line.

At work there is a customer who used to be a professor in the Sociology Department   When he found out that I had graduated from the Sociology program and that I had transferred from the social work program, he had a lot of questions for me.  More importantly, he didn't understand what someone with a degree was doing working as a seamstress in a dry cleaners.

I explained to him briefly that I was the wife of someone on a student visa, and that I opted to work for a couple of years rather than go into the program I wanted to start and have to stop half way through.  He understood that.

But still couldn't get his head around the entire switch.  I told him that I was too tender hearted for social work, and that sociology was that extra step away from people and closer to research, which is where I was more comfortable. He still doesn't understand.  It's hard to explain to someone when they aren't you why things just feel differently.  The social work department was just not working for me, I wasn't challenged   It was too intuitive.

"Thank your patience, please continue to hold for the next available representative."

He was also willing to try and help me get out of potentially having to leave the US.  He has a lawyer in Chicago who works primarily with immigration. He said that since we are married we may be able to plead that leaving the US would cause hardship to me, which could help us both stay. I smiled and thanked him for the advice, and told him I would keep it in mind.  I also immediately let it roll off my back. What will happen, will happen.

I spent 21 minutes on hold today, I will just have to try again on Monday.

Take care of yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment